Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Mt. Phillip- Rome, Maine.



It blows my mind that it's January 10th and here in Maine, we have a dusting of snow and a smattering of ice on the trails. I hoofed it up Mt.Phillip, which is one of my favorite hikes. I like the intensity on the way up and the views. It's what I would call a moderate hike. It's steep and the trail isn't very wide in places, but there's no car sized rocks or walking along a ridge. It's my kind of wonderful. There's a great view out over the lakes, I've watched lightening arc over Augusta from that vanatage point. I sit up there and eat a lunch and just bask in the sun. Even today, the lower level of the mountain was cold but by the time I got to the top I was sweating from the exertion. I took my coat off, my mittens off and my hat off, and sat on that top and couldn't believe that I wasn't freezing, I was actually warm. The ice is just starting to cover the lakes, which is so odd, last year those lakes were solid and already covered in smelt shacks. If someone tells you that global climate change is a lie, bitch slap 'em for me. My Maine is not supposed to be warm in January, my Maine is supposed to be below 0 and I should not have been on top of those rocks without 20 feet of snow, and sure as hell not in a sweatshirt! But, I am adapting to this weird weather. I ate a protein bar and drank my water. I would have stayed there all day.


Unfortunately, I had to work at midnight so I headed on home so I could nap. There were a few flakes in the air, which was nice. However, tomorrow is supposed to be a big storm and I am looking forward to some snow! I put the kayaks up for the year and pulled out the snow shoes back in November and we had 50 degree weather and no snow pretty much since then. I could have gone kayaking all this time!


Tried out my new splash suit in my shower, after both of the room mates were in bed...there are some things you don't do with witnesses. It's dryer than a wet suit, wetter than a dry suit, but crap about the cold. I will need to layer under that bad boy. I won't stay dry if I overturn, but it will keep my clothes dry until then. Of course, if we don't get any snow, or at least rain, racing season will be harder. It's a delicate balance, too much water and every other boat overturns not enough and no one can get through the rocks.


No comments: